Tuesday 9 July 2013

My first stall as Handmade Cards Shop - how it went....

A few weeks ago, my daughter suggested that I had a stall at her Summer Carnival selling my handmade cards and gifts as a way of bringing them to a wider audience whilst I continue to design and build my website ( www.handmadecardsshop.com ).

The idea was both exciting and daunting - oh I have had experience with selling things (I used to run the bookshop at the Labour Party taking things to all their conferences etc but that was a few years ago and I wasn't sure how my cards and notebooks would be received. I agreed and then had to decide what items would be suitable - I wanted them to notice my own designs and price them competitively enough that people would like to buy them!

Ladybird meets Art Deco -  range of goods to follow

So, the day came and boy what a scorcher as some people would say - hottest day of the year so far! I had got all the stuff ready as time would be tight - so loaded the car and we were off!  Thankfully the traffic was brilliant and we got there in good time to set up.

Thanks to my daughter and her boyfriend who helped set it up! 

Handmade Cards Shop Cards and gifts

Cards, gifts and decorations ready so would we get any customers given that it was Wimbledon Ladies' final and other sporting events going on? Luckily it was really well attended and quite a few people made their way to the stall - next time I must make sure we maybe have a gazebo or something as the sun was so hot! (and maybe even sell drinks - soft ones of course)!


The afternoon went by - people coming up and looking at what I had to sell - several of them complimenting me on my Ladybird design cards/bookmarks (see above pic for a sample) - this was really great as I had designed it myself and so I am definitely going to expand on what I had and produce a range of various items from cards, bookmarks and tags - have also made my own envelopes to go with some of the cards and would love to produce some wrapping paper on it too!


I was also chuffed that people also liked my other products (not just cards but my notebooks (being added to my website soon) too....


Notebooks - A6 spiral bound - many different designs and colours
Four hours flew by and it was time to pack up and go home - my head full of ideas and how when I next do a stall things can be improved - one down many more to go I hope - thank you to everyone who complimented my designs and showed it even more by buying some!  And a special thank you to my daughter and her boyfriend who helped make it possible!

No comments:

Post a Comment